Nordic region’s leading credit ratings company
- In search for a data integration tool because its IT operation needed to migrate from its expensive, inflexible legacy mainframe and COBOL environment to a modern PC and Java-based environment.
- Wanted to migrate its IT architecture in small, management chunks rather than in one ‘big bang’ so needed a data integration tool that could manage data sources from relational sources like PostgreSQL, MySQL and DB2 to big data NoSQL databases like MongoDB, which it is currently testing for future use.
- Soliditet evaluated four data integration solutions and initially chose Pentaho’s open source community tool before purchasing the commercial edition, Pentaho Data Integration (PDI) through European reseller and Pentaho partner, Omicron.
- Big picture visibility – PDI provides visibility of the entire data landscape as the development team migrates to a modern IT architecture over time. This helps IT, among other things, decide which systems need to stay and which to phase out over time.
- 50 percent faster time-to-market – since Soliditet’s 25-person IT team is no longer burdened with routine programming and scripting tasks, it can now focus on high-value activities like building more competitive products and taking them to market faster, in some cases by 50 percent.
- Customer information on-demand – whether a customer wants information on a million companies or just one, the customer can have this on-demand. This is because Pentaho can use the same definition to process a batch request as it does for an individual request.
- Supporting legacy and future IT migration – not only is PDI supporting Solidtet’s migration of legacy systems, but it is also building the foundation to in the future integrate big data technologies like MongoDB and NoSQL databases like eXist-db.
- Excellent Pentaho community and service – Soliditet was very impressed by the quality and responsiveness of Pentaho’s developer community and product support teams. This enabled the team to solve problems very quickly and accurately.
- Big picture visibility – Pentaho’s rich, intuitive graphical designer gives Solidtet’s 25-person IT team an unprecedented view of the ‘big picture’ of its entire data architecture. The graphical designer also serves to document Soliditet’s IT architecture as it builds new logic, data extracts and key value calculations over the course of the IT migration.
- Freeing up developer resources – thanks to Pentaho’s visual design interface that eliminates the need for labour intensive manual coding, Soliditet’s IT department has been able to undergo major transformation using the same number of developers, who are now freed to devote time to product innovation.
- Connectivity to any kind of data - Pentaho can perform ETL jobs on data from the many different sources that Soliditet uses, from relational sources like PostgreSQL, MySQL and DB2 to big data NoSQL databases like MongoDB, which it is currently testing for future use.