Integrated traffic, capacity and revenue planning software for airports
- In 2014, global security and aerospace giant Lockheed Martin acquired BEONTRA, which provides integrated planning and demand forecasting tools for airports. The acquisition meant that BEONTRA needed to integrate data from its own forecasting and planning suite with Lockheed Martin’s Chroma airport operating system. This would give BEONTRA’s airport clients better, more powerful reporting and dashboarding across all product lines. BEONTRA’s existing, self-coded analytics tool did not have the functionality to handle the integration.
- Needed to support a variety of data types including big data or web services data and feed these into the HP Vertica analytic database.
- Needed reporting that was easy to embed into existing forecasting and planning modules. Non-technical business analysts, retailers and financial managers expected it to be easy to use. BEONTRA’s developers needed to be able to easily modify the code to meet specific needs.
- With 80 percent of BEONTRA’s customers running in the cloud, flexible multi-tenant capabilities were essential.
- PDI captures, integrates and blends the various data types generated by airports systems including real-time passenger and massive amount of various passengers tracking sensor data (wifi,beacons,cameras) , preparing it for ingestion into the Oracle EDW and analysis by HP Vertica.
- Pentaho Business Analytics is embedded within the BEONTRA Scenario Planning platform. This is branded as “B Analytics” and enables airport users to gain insights into blended datasets gain a 360-degree view of the passengers.
- Custom dashboards developed by Webdetails, a Pentaho company, deliver an attractive, user-friendly self-service BI experience.
- Pentaho Professional Services included prototyping, an architecture workshop, multi-tenancy set-up and training.
- “B Analytics” flexible, scalable business intelligence and reporting solution gives airport customers a 360-degree view of its passengers drawing on blended BEONTRA and Lockheed Martin data sources.
- Custom dashboards along with third-party visualizations offer customers very user friendly interfaces and self-service reporting.
- The first airport customers are using “B Analytics” to visualize the data from BEONTRA’s B Operational module (real-time traffic forecasting) and its B Non Aviation planning module (relates passenger traffic numbers to retail revenues and spending patterns).
- In future BEONTRA plans a data lake approach where Hadoop will underpin HP Vertica and Pentaho will provide data integration on the backend. This will become necessary when BEONTRA launches module for sentiment analysis of social media data that would require much higher data processing volumes.
- Highly customized dashboards and reporting capabilities
- Ability to customize code to specific needs
- Excellent cloud support and multi-tenancy set-up
- Supports third party visualisations plugins
- Supports a broad range of data sources and storages, including Hadoop and HP Vertica