About this Customer
Mobile Device Management and Device Intelligence
"We use Pentaho as a pre-sales tool to analyze a mash-up of our data and operators’ data to prove the success of our services during a trial period for potential customers. Pentaho delivered us the analytical power and the visual eye-candy to better tell our story which helped us winning five new customers over the last six month."
- Mobilethink needed an easy-to-integrate analytics solution that they could, in the future, easily embed into its own analytics solution and offer to clients.
- As Mobilethink has a very heterogeneous IT landscape, it needed a system that runs on all of its operating systems, including Linux, Mac and Windows.
- To demonstrate the value of its DMS services, Mobilethink offers operators 3-5 month trial licenses, during which they can analyze campaign effectiveness using a mash-up of their extensive and diverse available data. This includes 170 different device capabilities, anonymous operator data including information on call records, network data usage and information on devices in the network. The dataset for each client reaches up to 15GB, adding up to 200 GB in total. MobileThink’s old system was too slow to handle this data volume.
- Mobilethink needed extensive visualization capabilities to help them better communicate their value to its potential customers.
- Mobilethink offers device management solutions (DMS) to mobile operators, allowing them to accurately detect mobile devices in their network, configure the devices for data services, seamlessly communicate value added services to them, and earn profitable returns from their device install base. Being a new service, one of Mobilethink’s key business challenges is to proof the value of its solution. They needed a tool to help them to analyze the impact of their services in real-time to make a proof-of-concept. Their previous OLAP tool only enabled static reports with limited drill-down capabilities.
- Mobilethink runs Pentaho on a Linux/Debian operating system, with a Tomcat/Java application server using MonetDB, a column-store database.
- Following a review of Pentaho, QlikView and Tableau Software, Mobilethink chose Pentaho Business Analytics version 4.5.
- Mobilethink can now extensively analyze its complex datasets using Pentaho, looking at any dimension they want drill-down into specific data sets. This enables it to better define campaigns for their mobile operator customers.
- In the future Mobilethink plans to embed Pentaho into its own analytics tool to offer as-a-service to its clients and enable them to run real-time analysis and drill-down into complex data sets.
- Mobilethink now uses Pentaho to analyze the success of its services during a trial period with potential customers. One customer, an African operator discovered through Mobilethink’s service that 32% of the devices in its network had 3G capabilities but were not yet using data services. After Mobilethink ran a specific campaign to promote 3G data services based on Pentaho data, the operator increased their revenue from these services by 12%. It also measured increases of 10% of 3G data traffic volume and 9% new subscribers. This proof helped them not only to win the African operator as a customer but also gain five new clients in only six months.
- Extensive analytics capabilities, including real-time analytics
- Visualization capabilities
- Open source and flexibility