About This CustomerModCloth
ModCloth is a high-growth company that believes in data-driven decision making. In this environment, it is crucial that business users at all levels can access the exact information they need at that exact moment. Pentaho helped us build a self-serve culture in reporting.
Use Case Overview
- As an online retailer on a high growth trajectory, ModCloth was interested in a reporting tool that enabled business users to directly access information whenever and how they wanted it. Some business users needed more visuals, while others needed Excel sheets that could be further modified.
- The company also needed a reporting solution that SQL analysts could work with instead of just engineers.
- ModCloth decided to start using the open source version of Pentaho. However, as the company began to scale there was a need to move to the enterprise version.
- The ModCloth team built a series of reports, ranging from simpler, emailed reports to interactive reports and OLAP cubes for advanced users.
- ModCloth deployed the enterprise version of Pentaho Business Analytics with MySQL through hosting provider Joyent.
- In order to speed up the deployment, consultants were hired to install the system, train users and build some reports. This helped the ModCloth analytics and BI team gain an advanced understanding of Pentaho.
- Pentaho has helped ModCloth employees in functions such as finance, service, product, merchandising and buying access specific reports when they need them. This self-serve capability has allowed the ModCloth analytics team focus on building out features of its BI platform, not creating reports.
- The slice and dice capabilities of the OLAP cubes helped business users analyze particular issues and also identify future reporting requirements.
- Through Pentaho, ModCloth was able to create reports that catered to different business user needs. The interactive parameters in reporting and flexibility offered through the OLAP cubes helped the analytics team meet reporting needs from finance to merchandising. Business users were able to save versions specific to their own needs instead of relying on the analytics team to build custom versions.
- Ease of use
- Real-time reporting and analytics capabilities
- Expertise in consulting and development yielding faster time to market