Customer: 9/11 Memorial & Museum
"Our consultant from Pentaho Professional Services was extremely knowledgeable. He knew Pentaho inside out, and more importantly, he understood how best for us to use this technology to help improve aspects of our operations."
- Before the 9/11 Memorial opened in September 2011, CTO Sean Anderson was tasked with finding a business analytics solution to assess and track specific aspects of the memorial’s daily operations, including free visitor pass reservations, e-commerce and admissions screening.
- Needed a business tool to create reports as well as provide in-depth analysis and visualization. In addition, as a non-profit organization, cost was also an important factor in selecting a business analytics tool.
- Pentaho Business Analytics was selected because it met the Memorial’s requirements for an end-to-end business analytics platform that included data integration to facilitate Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) from retail, e-commerce, free visitor pass reservation and admissions screening systems into a data warehouse, as well as analysis and reporting capabilities.
- Installed on a virtual server running the Linux operating system, Pentaho connects to a data warehouse using MySQL to do ETL every night and populate data into internal reports.
- Maximize revenue – The system automatically loads information overnight from specific daily operations into the data warehouse to generate daily operations reports. With daily insight into this data, daily operations can be better managed.
- Compliance – The Memorial has deployed Pentaho alerts to automatically inform security personnel whenever the crowd starts to reach maximum capacity. This ensures that the Memorial is always in compliance with accommodating 1,500 visitors at any time.
- Improved customer experience – Supporters and visitors are ensured that keepsakes and mementoes are available for purchase online, at the 9/11 Memorial Preview Site, or at the 9/11 Memorial Visitor Center.
- Management buy-in – Management has become more reliant on data analysis and is asking for Pentaho to do even more.
- Professional services – To start the project in the right direction, Pentaho consultants came on site to help roll out the initial solution in just a few days. The analytics team has also participated in both onsite and online training from Pentaho.
- Operational excellence – Pentaho streamlined the task of piecing together the operations report from a two- to three-hour daily task to an automated process. All of the data is easily viewed through a single pane of glass.
- Superior BI platform and comprehensive data integration capabilities
- Knowledgeable consultants who understand the memorial’s needs
- Powerful and affordable