9/11 Memorial & Museum
About This Customer9/11 Memorial & Museum
Non-profit Memorial and Museum
Our consultant from Pentaho Professional Services was extremely knowledgeable. He knew Pentaho inside out, and more importantly, he understood how best for us to use this technology to help improve aspects of our operations.
Use Case Overview
- Before the 9/11 Memorial opened in September 2011, CTO Sean Anderson was tasked with finding a business analytics solution to assess and track specific aspects of the memorial’s daily operations, including free visitor pass reservations, e-commerce and admissions screening.
- The organization needed a business tool to create reports and provide in-depth analysis and visualization. As a non-profit organization, cost was also an important factor in selecting a business analytics tool.
- Pentaho Business Analytics was selected because it met the Memorial’s requirements for an end-to-end business analytics platform that included data integration to facilitate Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) from systems including retail, e-commerce, visitor pass reservation and admissions screening into a data warehouse. The organization also sought analysis and reporting capabilities.
- Pentaho connects to a data warehouse using MySQL to process ETL nightly and populate data into internal reports. The system is installed on a virtual server running the Linux operating system.
- Maximize revenues– Pentaho automatically loads data overnight from operations into the data warehouse to generate daily operations reports. With this insight, the organization can better manage daily operations, such as security allocation and museum ticketing.
- Compliance – The Memorial has deployed Pentaho alerts to automatically inform security personnel whenever the crowd starts to reach maximum capacity. This ensures that the Memorial is always in compliance since it accommodates 1,500 visitors at any time.
- Powering online merchandise sales– Supporters and visitors are ensured that keepsakes and mementos are available for purchase online, at the 9/11 Memorial Preview Site or at the 9/11 Memorial Visitor Center.
- Management buy-in – Management has become more reliant on data analysis and is asking for Pentaho to do even more.
- Professional services –Pentaho consultants came on site to help deploy the initial solution in just a few days. The analytics team has also participated in both onsite and online training from Pentaho.
- Operational excellence – Pentaho streamlined the task of piecing together the operations report from a two- to three-hour daily task. The report is now created automatically and available at the click of a mouse, and easily viewed in one screen.
- Superior BI platform and comprehensive data integration capabilities
- Knowledgeable consultants who understand the Memorial’s needs
- Powerful and affordable