Customer: St. Antonius
About this Customer
Clinical training hospital in The Netherlands
"Pentaho’s HL7 support gives us a fast and easy way to retrieve, exchange, and share information across all our internal and external data sources. Our contributions to Pentaho’s open source project for HL7 will also enable other hospitals and healthcare organizations to use it for their data integration and compliance requirements."
- Wanted to improve patient care and reduce its facilities’ operating costs.
- Needed better analysis of data for things such as emergency room wait times and operating theater occupation.
- Had patient and research data trapped in separate silos for each hospital department.
- Needed a central data warehouse and Business Intelligence platform that would break down departmental silos and make data analysis available to the entire hospital staff.
- Needed to leverage the international HL7 standards for data exchange and sharing both within hospital departments and for government reporting.
- HL7 – Pentaho Data Integration provided the framework to implement and comply with HL7 standards. Although Pentaho custom built the HL7 solution specifically for St. Antonius, the hospital has kindly decided to donate it to the open source community so that any healthcare organization can now leverage it to overcome their data integration challenges.
- Tholis Consulting – To help implement the hospital-wide BI project and train IT staff on BI best practices, the CIO engaged with Pentaho Partner, Tholis Consulting. Jos van Dongen, founder of Tholis Consulting, has trained the St. Antonius internal team and increased their BI skills so that they have become self-sufficient enough to manage BI projects on their own.
- Read in-depth details about how St. Antonius Hospital uses Pentaho Business Analytics in the case study located on this page under Related Media.
- Mobile BI – With doctors and administrators constantly on the go, St. Antonius plans to extend Pentaho capabilities to mobile devices.
- Data Discovery and Analysis – Using Pentaho, the St. Antonius BI team prepared and provisioned data for access to all users throughout the hospital.
- Reporting – IT has worked with the business users to create 20 to 30 standard reports.
- Data Mining – Ongoing research is an important activity at St. Antonius. Since Pentaho provides access to the hospital’s existing R System statistical tool, users can select data and do analysis on issues such as lung patient survival rates.
- Dashboards – St. Antonius’ Board of Directors is eagerly awaiting the completion of a dashboard that will provide access to a balanced scorecard for strategic planning and management.
- Better research intelligence and preventative care – By using the data mining and predictive analysis capabilities of Pentaho, St. Antonius hopes to improve their insights into such things as survival time of a patient based on treatment; treatment based on blood type, age or weight; or illnesses and lifetime expectancies.
- Lower costs and fewer resources – By leveraging Pentaho, Krediet’s team of three IT people have been able to deliver BI capabilities to users throughout the hospital.
- Easier and faster compliance – In response to government requests for information, St. Antonius is using Pentaho to define and report on its key performance indicators (KPIs).
- 20 percent reduction in emergency room turnaround times – St. Antonius has leveraged Pentaho Reporting to reduce emergency room turnaround times for patients at two locations. One location reduced average turnaround time from 189 minutes to 160; the second location cut its turnaround time from 144 minutes to 120 minutes.
- Data analysis in the hands of doctors – Self-service BI is delivered throughout the hospital via the analysis and reporting capabilities of Pentaho.
- Optimized use of surgery rooms and personnel – Pentaho reports and analysis provide greater visibility into such issues as the number of beds and operating theaters used, as well as the number of patients treated.