Non-profit university consortium and Italy’s largest high-performance computing center
- Cineca wanted a sustainable and easier to manage system. It was maintaining 80 BI applications from several different proprietary platforms. The organization needed 30 universities to agree on a new BI system.
- The internal BI research lab started a software selection to determine the best open source platform and evaluated Jaspersoft, Pentaho and Talend. w
- Cineca’s U-GOV Planning and Controlling system embedded the data access and integration, discovery, analysis and visualization capabilities of Pentaho Business Analytics Enterprise Edition.
- Cineca runs Pentaho in the following environment: Linux for OS; Apache for Web server; J2EE Container (Tomcat/JBOSS); Oracle RDBMS for database (32-bit and 64-bit with cluster supported).
- Pentaho OEM Partnership is providing better integration of business intelligence and analytics into U-GOV, enhancing the critical and complex information delivery process for the universities.
- Happy end users – The combined Pentaho and U-GOV planning and controlling solutions work exactly as promised to end users and the feedback has been so positive that Cineca plans to offer it outside of Italy.
- Better user experience - Pentaho’s open source architecture enabled Cineca to develop a more friendly integration for U-GOV’s user authentication and authorization features.
- High-level reporting – Cineca plans to use Pentaho Business Analytics not only for operational reporting, but also for “high level” analysis for administration managers and university leadership.
- Seamless integration – Because Pentaho and U-GOV’s modules are both developed in Java, the integration is seamless.
- Centralized product management of all BI solutions
- Service support
- Coverage of the whole BI life-cycle
- User functionality
- Cost of solution
- OLAP capabilities
- Integration capabilities
- Unlimited number of users
- Meta-data management