Customer: Delta Dental of Virginia
"Pentaho has precipitated a cultural shift at Delta Dental of Virginia towards a knowledge worker paradigm. Once we had a BI platform that everyone could use and people understood its capabilities, they were transformed into knowledge workers who can look to data to answer their questions. As a result, people rely on data, not anecdotes to drive the business."
- Wanted an open source, business intelligence and analytics tool to replace a proprietary tool that had not met the company's needs.
- Needed a business analytics technology that could get off the ground quickly and that could be integrated with the company's various customer-facing programs as well as its internal business applications.
- Read the full case study under Related Media on this page to learn more about how Delta Dental of Virginia uses the data access and integration, analysis and visualization capabilities of Pentaho Business Analytics.
- Licensed Pentaho Business Analytics Enterprise Edition from the start in order to take advantage of Pentaho support services.
- Delta Dental of Virginia (DDVA) had Pentaho Support Services on site to help explain to business users how to use Pentaho and the programs that Sheffield's team developed for them.
- Competitive advantage - Great customer service and software systems help them compete and win against other, often larger, carriers.
- Proliferated success companywide - The system containing Pentaho Business Analytics has become so successful that other Delta Dental member companies either license the software or utilize it through SaaS.
- Data driven company - Pentaho has precipitated a cultural shift at Delta Dental of Virginia towards a knowledge worker paradigm. As a result, more than 35,000 agents are using Pentaho and relying on data, not anecdotes to drive the business.
- High value -Pentaho has helped DDVA deliver what was needed in a short amount of time. Once they got successful with management reports, they got the green light to pursue Pentaho in other areas.
- Learn more about why Delta Dental chose Pentaho. Read the case study located under Related Media.
- Easy to use - Pentaho's real value to DDVA's business is that it provides business users with a tool that they can use on their own to mine data; especially with the analysis capabilities of Pentaho BI.
- Cost reductions - Sheffield explains, "It's been much less expensive for DDVA to deploy Pentaho over other commercial solutions"
- Easy to integrate - As a development platform, Pentaho has been relatively easy to integrate into both the DDVA claims processing system and Web software. Pentaho has a great API and SDK; both work reliably.