Senior Technical Writer
Full Time Employee
Work with a dedicated, fun-loving, and flexible group of technical authors and software developers, who are serious about providing readers with high-quality content.
The Pentaho Senior Technical Writer works as a member of the Technical Documentation Team within the Engineering Department. Qualified individuals must have a proven background writing technical documentation to a diverse audience, including end-users, solution developers, business analysts, system administrators, and software integrators. The successful candidate works symbiotically with software developers, product management, and quality engineers to enhance product documentation for the Pentaho Business Analytics and Data Integration products and related projects, initiatives, and technologies.
- 4 or more years experience writing and editing technical communications materials related to business analytics, development and deployment of business analysis software applications and solutions, IT systems, and technical services
- Lead technical documentation projects and acquire specific expertise using Pentaho software products
- Conduct interviews and attend meetings with technical representatives and other stakeholders to gather pertinent background and technical input for writing projects
- Participate on sprint teams and in product development meetings to stay abreast of product changes
- Actively work to enhance documentation based on customer and employee feedback
- Work with task-oriented, topic-based content, DITA automated publishing, and WIKI-based publishing
- Mentor team members and share expertise to make technical writing processes and procedures more efficient
- Work with technical communications teammates to develop standards, templates, information architecture and to ensure the quality of Pentaho’s technical communications products
- Interact with and support customers, partners, and the open source community
- Reliably meet deadlines related to scheduled content updates, content changes for immediate release to customers and prospects, and software release dates
- Simultaneously handle multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in a team environment including advanced spelling, grammar, and information modeling skills
- Experience editing HTML
- 4-year University degree in English, Journalism, Technical Writing or equivalent in related field
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Focused team player, who takes pride in high quality
- Self-motivating, self-managing, responsible, independent thinker, who works well in a fast-paced, Scrum, flexible work environment
- Fearless about approaching and learning new technologies
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence tools and concepts including ETL, OLAP, Charting, Dashboards, and Reporting
- Understanding of Agile, Scrum, or other iterative software development methodologies
- Experience with DITA and topic-based authoring
- Familiarity with commercial open source software business practices
Pentaho has established itself as the clear leader in commercial open source business intelligence and is growing its bookings, customer base, and team rapidly in a challenging economy. Because Pentaho's commercial open source model provides a lower-cost alternative for enterprise-class BI, Pentaho is getting attention from leading analyst firms like Gartner, and racking up public wins over traditional players like Business Objects (SAP), Cognos (IBM), Microstrategy, Hyperion (Oracle), QlikTech, Informatica and Microsoft. With an experienced team of BI and open source veterans, Pentaho is well-positioned for continued growth in the BI market, with presence in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America, supplemented by a Global Reseller network. Finally, Pentaho is a fast-moving, fun start-up where employees at all levels and in all departments can make a difference, develop new skills, and enjoy the pace and excitement of disrupting a major enterprise software market by delivering better value for customers.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which
includes medical and dental coverage, life insurance, and 401 (K) plan.
Please forward cover letter, resume and salary requirements to